Nick HughesFounder of M-Kopa
To book this speaker please contact us.
Nick has been at the forefront of mobile commerce activities in emerging markets for over a decade. He is the co-founder of M-KOPA, the leading company providing pay-as-you-go solar energy services in East Africa to over 100,000 customers and winner of the FT/IFC Sustainable Finance Award 2013.
Nick was previously Global Head of Payment Solutions at Vodafone where, in 2003, he started the groundbreaking mobile payment service M-PESA delivering it across multiple Vodafone territories. In 2010, Nick won The Economist’s Innovation Award for Social & Economic Impact for his work on M-PESA. He has a PhD in Applied Science and an MBA from London Business School.
Nick has spoken at the Global Leadership Summit 2015, London Business School Africa Business Summit 2014 and 2016, MIT Legatum’s Annual Conference 2013, The EDGE Entrepreneurial Forum 2013, Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship 2012, and the Sankalp Summit 2011, among many others.
Awards and Recognition:
- M-KOPA awarded Zayed Future Energy Prize in 2015
- Listed by Fortune as one of the Top 50 Companies Changing the World
- M-KOPA was recognised as the Best Mobile Innovation for Emerging Markets at the Global Mobile Awards, 2016
- Nick was the winner of The Economist Innovation Award for Social and Economic Impact, 2010
- Read about M-KOPA in the New York Times
- Read about M-KOPA in the BBC News
- Read about M-KOPA in The Economist