Eric WainainaSinger Songwriter
To book this artist please contact us.
Eric Wainaina was born to speak truth to power. His earliest songs, Daima and Nchi Ya Kitu Kidogo were powerful indictments of corruption and divisive politics that gripped the nation. His award-winning records, Sawa Sawa in 2001 and Twende Twende in 2006, are still among the highest selling records in Kenya. His most recent release, Love + Protest in 2011 received wide critical acclaim.
As the country’s most sought after composer, he wrote the music for United Nations Millennium Development Goals campaign 8 Goals for Africa featuring African greats such as Angelique Kidjo, Baaba Maal, Oliver Mtukudzi and Yvonne Chaka Chaka.
He wrote and starred in the musical theatre production, Mo Faya! which played at sold-out houses at the New York Musical Theatre Festival and the The Godown Arts Centre in Nairobi, making him a Sundance Institute fellow. He was commissioned to write the musical score for the 52-part animated series Tinga Tinga Tales produced by Tiger Aspect and commissioned by the BBC for its CeeBeeBee’s channel and has now been turned into a musical theatre production. In 2013, he became the lead of Tusker Project Fame, East Africa’s most widely watched television show.
Eric graduated from Berklee College of Music, one of the largest and most prestigious music universities in the world, where he now serves as a member of the African Scholars Award Board.
He has been appointed an ambassador for Transparency International for his work on corruption, for the Kenya Human Rights Commission, and the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights for his commitment to fighting human rights violations through music.
In 2013 Eric was a National UN Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Environmental Program (UNEP)
- Jack Maher Scholarship for distinction in songwriting and the
- Yo Team award for excellence in music
- Africa Almanac.com listed him amongst Nelson Mandela as one of the top 100 Africans of the year in 2000
- Best Director, Screenplay, Picture, Original Soundtrack and AMAA Achievement in Editing awards at the African movie awards in 2009
- Fifa World Cup – Closing Concert: Soweto Fan Park (2010)
- Fifa World Cup –Pre-Opening Concert (2010)
- New York Musical Theatre Festival (2009)
- Berlin Tour (2008)
- Big Brother Africa Closing Concert – South Africa (2008)
- Tribeca Film Festival : Opening Concert Alongside Jon Bon Jovi– NY, USA (2008)
- Harare International Festival of the Arts (2003)
- The Kora Awards- South Africa (2001)
- Daima – Eric Wainaina
- Watch Eric live at TEDX
- Live at Berklee Performance Center
- Eric Wainaina “Kitu Kidogo” – Live