Boniface MwangiPhotojournalist & Activist
Politics, Culture, Business,
To book this speaker please contact us.
Boniface Mwangi is an award-winning Kenyan photojournalist and activist involved in social-political activism through his initiative Team Courage.
He is a Change Maker and Leader who has spent his life fighting for justice for the ordinary (citizen). Team Courage is a movement that aims to instill a sense of hope and self-belief in a generation of young changemakers by enabling patriotic citizens to take bold and effective actions in building a new Kenya. He is known for his images of the post-election violence that hit Kenya in 2007–2008.
He is a very dynamic, energetic, and passionate individual who believes in change and cares about making a difference in the world. With a unique background, culture and personality, he has shaped the struggle for a better country and a better society in Kenya and Africa. His focus and vision are to utilize the life he lives, as well as the photography and art, to inspire young people in Africa so that everyone can build a movement of young people working towards creating a better world for all.
He is also the founder of Picha Mtaani, a youth-led peace initiative that primarily seeks to create space for young people to reconcile and become agents of reconciliation to their respective communities.
He has provided public lectures across Kenya, United Nations, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Netherlands, Switzerland, Somalia, South Sudan, Congo, Ghana, Zimbabwe as well as colleges in Germany and USA such as University of Bayreuth, Austin College, Occidental College, University of Delaware, University of San Francisco, Rutgers University and Ivy League universities. His TED talk, “The day I stood alone” has been watched by over a million people.
Awards & Recognition
- 100 Most Influential Young Africans 2017 | Africa Youth Awards
- Men Impacting Differently Award for Leadership and Governance | Kingdom Business Solutions
- Quartz Africa Innovators 2016 | Quartz Media LLC
- Top 40 Under 40 Men in Kenya | Business Daily
- 100 Most Influential Africans | New African Magazine
- 100 Most Influential Africans 2014 | New African Magazine
- CNN Multichoice African Photojournalist of the Year | CNN Photo of the Year | Foreign Correspondents’ Association of East Africa (FCAEA)
“I was struck by your story.”— US President Barack Obama